2014: A Lookback at Alfresco
dec 16 2014
Categories : Notes
As the year comes to an end, we decided to have a look at the important milestones and announcements related to Alfresco in 2014. This also includes major announcements and top blog-posts from Alfresco community members including Loftux that were hits!
If you think we had missed anything, please tweet us mentioning @loftuxab on Twitter.
- An excellent tutorial on the Maven SDK is written and published by Jeff Potts. (http://ecmarchitect.com/alfresco-developer-series-tutorials/maven-sdk/tutorial/tutorial.html)
- Activiti Designer is released by Alfresco. (http://bpeters.tumblr.com/post/74062797891/activiti-designer-5-14-0-released)
- A top blog post from Loftux shows how you can use nginx and some code to display a maintenance message when Alfresco is down for maintenance. (https://loftux.com/en/blog/alfresco-maintenance-message)
- An interesting blog post on the previously announced Alfresco Activiti Kickstart from BataOn (http://www.bataon.com/blogs/amandaluniz/easy-workflows-activiti-kickstart).
- Alfresco Summit 2014 details announced. (http://ecmarchitect.com/archives/2014/03/25/3682)
- Interesting blog post on generating video thumbnails in Alfresco (http://www.bataon.com/blogs/bchevallereau/how-have-video-thumbnails-alfresco-41x)
- Loftux expands! Hires Bhagya Silva (https://loftux.se/en/blog/loftux-is-expanding)
- Long time Alfresco Chief Community Officer Jeff Potts leaves Alfresco. (http://ecmarchitect.com/archives/2014/05/28/3713)
- A study shows Alfresco easily supports thousands of users and millions of documents. (http://blogs.alfresco.com/wp/new-study-shows-alfresco-easily-supports-thousands-of-users-millions-of-documents/)
- Tutorial by Ole Hejlskov details how to work with the newly introduced Aikau framework. (http://ohej.github.io/alfresco-tutorials/tutorial/aikau/tutorial.html)
- A global virtual hack-a-thon is organised by the Alfresco Community with a large number of participants. (http://www.alfresco.com/events/webinars/global-virtual-hack-thon-may-2014)
- Alfresco 5.0.a Community Edition is announced.
- Jan Pfizner (Alfrescian) publishes a blog post detailing his thoughts on the Alfresco’s commitment to its Community offering. This post made waves in the community. (http://blog.alfrescian.com/?p=284)
- Order of the Bee is established by the Alfresco Developers and Partners Community and quickly gains traction. (http://orderofthebee.org/). The Order of the Bee starts with the mission to guarantee the existence of Alfresco Community Edition as a free/libre solution for Document Management.
- Alfresco Maven SDK, now renamed to Alfresco SDK announces version 2.0 (http://mindthegab.com/2014/07/17/whats-happening-with-the-maven-alfresco-sdk-get-ready-for-2-x)
- Alfresco SDK is migrated to GitHub! The SDK is now completely based on Apache Maven. (http://mindthegab.com/2014/07/20/maven-alfresco-sdk-migrated-to-github)
- Interesting blog post from Redpill Linpro! Alfresco Logging with Logstash and Kibana. (http://alfresco.blog.redpill-linpro.com/2014/07/01/alfresco-logging-with-logstash-and-kibana-part-1-the-basics/)
- Alfresco hot-reloading for development environments is announced by Gabrielle on his blog. (http://mindthegab.com/2014/08/07/rapid-development-and-hot-reloading-for-your-maven-project-in-eclipse-and-idea-for-free-yes-with-spring-loaded-and-tomcat7-virtualwebapp)
- Alfresco CTO John Newton publishes a blog post reassuring commitment to the community edition from Alfresco. (http://blogs.alfresco.com/wp/strong-open-source-product/ )
- Alfresco raises $45 million led by Sageview Capital along with Accel Partners, Mayfield Fund and SAP Ventures. (http://blogs.alfresco.com/wp/the-road-less-traveled-in-enterprise-content-management-ecm/)
- Alfresco CEO Doug Dennerline and Richard Esplin host an office hours and answers questions from the Alfresco Community (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylCbpyJOkLY)
Alfresco SDK Beta 4 is released and made available in Maven Central. This made it easier for developers to bootstrap Alfresco projects without manually specifying artefact repositories.
- Loftux announces ShareBox for Alfresco. ShareBox brings simple and powerful external sharing functionality to Alfresco. (http://loftux.se/en/blog/adding-secure-external-sharing-functionality-to-alfresco)
- Alfresco Summit 2014 happens in London and San Francisco! (https://loftux.com/en/blog/see-you-in-london )
- Alfresco One is announced at the Alfresco Summit. It will include the HTML5 PDF viewer originally created by Peter Löfgren at Loftux and Will Abson at Alfresco! (https://loftux.com/en/blog/replace-alfresco-standard-flash-viewer-with-pdf-js)
- Alfresco announces Alfresco Contract Management Solution. This is only under a Beta programme.
- Alfresco SDK v 1.2.0 is available with support for hot reloading. (http://ohej.dk/2014/10/alfresco-4-2-x-and-alfresco-sdk/), also a video tutorial on the SDK (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utYZaVe9Nd0)
- SimpleEdit for Alfresco is announced at Alfresco Summit. Brings true offline editing capability for any type of content stored in Alfresco. (http://www.aca-it.be/simpleedit)
- The only Theme package for Alfresco consisting over 12 colorful themes based on Bootswatch is released by Loftux. (http://loftux.se/en/blog/the-new-loftux-themes-are-here )
- Alfresco drops the old Alfresco Explorer as well as legacy CMIS API support.
- Alfresco drops support for Lucene in Community edition.
- David Webster writes a blog post titled Alternative Realities of Share Development (http://blogs.alfresco.com/wp/developer/2014/11/24/the-alternate-realities-of-share-development/), A community member writes back his thoughts. (
- Alfresco hosts another office hours session with the product team discussing the future directions. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA0A65NJ7Ic)
- Recursion alert, this blog post.
Let’s await an exciting 2015 filled with interesting new product announcements and news!
To stay updated on news and updates from Loftux AB including news related to Alfresco, please sign up for our newsletter by sending an email through the contact form.